Tuesday 23 July 2019

Coffee ice-cream (without ice-cream maker)

10 minutes to prepare 500 g serving



Crema al caffè



After a few batches of ice cream, I started working on coffee ice cream.

Not surprisingly, coffee ice cream is my favorite flavor. But I don’t like all coffee ice creams.
I never order it at some random gelateria as I am very picky on coffee ice cream.
I like the coffee ice creams where coffee plays a supporting role and is not the dominant flavor. I also don’t like coffee ice creams that use a dark roasted coffee. The reason is it can impart an ashy bitter flavor that distracts from the creaminess and sweetness of the ice cream.
I like the ones similar to crema al caffè you may find everywhere in Italy, in summertime.

Coffee ice cream recipes are split on using instant coffee or using a concentrated brewed coffee. As an Italian and a huge quality coffee enthusiast, I thought I would not like the instant coffee.
Moreover, I wanted it to be decaffeinated because there is no chance Nina wouldn't taste it, if she sees me eating ice-cream.
Finally, I used Nespresso decaf capsules.
Decaf coffee is something I would never drink, but for coffee ice cream it just works. The basic flavor of the coffee was ideal and the texture of the ice cream remained perfect.

Let us make some coffee ice cream. We will be using the same method as for chocolate and licorice ice-creams.
The only difference is that we will add much more liquid. Be careful to mix it even more carefully!


Here are ingredients for a 500 g recipe:


150 ml fresh cream
80 ml coffee(I used Nespresso decaf)
200 g condensed milk
2 tablespoons Licorice liquor

  1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip the fresh cream until stiff peaks form
  2. In another bowl, on low speed, mix the condensed milk with the coffee and Licorice liquor
  3. Gradually add the coffee mixture to the whipped cream. Stir gently with a spoon to mix well
  4. Pour into a resealable container, then seal. Freeze for at least 8 hours, or until firm. Keep stored in the freezer

Nutrition Facts are detailed in the table below. Data is provided per serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment